Monday, August 10, 2015

#358: Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town (1978)


Zack: Why am I bothering to write a review for this? Was there ever any doubt that I would love this album? I’m a proud son of New Jersey damnit, and us Joysians stick by the Boss. Putting my bias aside, though, Darkness on the Edge of Town is clearly a classic. The writing is so poignant that is borders on heartbreaking, even on the songs where the person triumphs over their circumstances. Springsteen is most often compared to Dylan, although lyrically I think that’s a terrible fit. Sure, people may misinterpret Born in the USA and think it’s a patriotic anthem, but in general Bruce is pretty clear about the meaning of his songs. It’s the storytelling that matters. Dylan is so cryptic, that you admire his lyrics for entirely different reasons. It’s like prose compared to poetry, really. If I’m thinking of who Springsteen reminds me of, lyrically, I actually think of a recent artist in Courtney Barnett. They both weave stories that are underlined by vivid characters and wit, and the meaning of what they’re saying is almost never in doubt. But as much as I love the storytelling on Barnett’s recent debut, Springsteen is clearly on a completely different plain here. Every detail comes roaring out of his mouth, matched by the ripping of his guitar or the blast of the sax, so vividly that it almost feels like you’re watching a TV show instead of listening to an album. I was blown away. I’d have to listen to them back-to-back to do a real comparison, but as of right now I would put Darkness ahead of Born to Run on the Bruce album power rankings. With the qualification that we have more than 40 albums left to go, I would even go so far as to say that it’s a strong contended for my favorite album come award time.
Favorite Tracks: Something in the Night; Darkness on the Edge of Town; Racing in the Street

Emily: I'm not from New Jersey, so I don't have quite the strong connection/obligation to Bruce Springsteen that Zack (and everyone else from the state) does. I guess that means I can take a more objective look, but it's not like Bruce isn't revered and acclaimed outside of his own state. On the contrary, Darkness on the Edge of Town is considered to be one of his best albums. It's more introspective than its predecessor, Born to Run, and focuses on telling uniquely American stories. Very few artists do that as well as Bruce Springsteen, and this album is a triumph both for him and for the genre.
Favorite Tracks: Racing in the Street; Badlands; Prove It All Night

No comments:

Post a Comment