Monday, August 24, 2015

#362: Nightmares on Wax - Smokers Delight (1995)


Zack: With a band name like that, I was sort of prepared for the worst. The electronic genre can get kind of kooky and unpleasant, and I will just say that – based off nothing other than the name – I was worried that this album would be rough. Combined with the length, and I found myself routinely coming up with excuses to put off listening to it for another day. Those days added up to about a week (whoops!), but I eventually got around to it. When I finally built up the confidence, I found that there really wasn’t much to worry about. Smokers Delight wasn’t particularly stunning, but it was smooth. It was a good album to bob your head to while you work, which is exactly what I found myself doing. The album is probably like 25 minutes too long, and I question the necessity of having a 1:46 reprise of the previous 5+ minute song, even if it the latter was my favorite song on the album. But it isn’t particularly intrusive or anything like that.
Favorite Tracks: Rise; Pipes Honour; What I’m Feeling (Good)

Emily: For once, I wasn't daunted by the prospect of listening to an album longer than an hour when it came to listen to Smokers Delight. I actually needed the motivation to sit in front of my computer for an extended period of time to work on an assignment for the class I'm TAing this upcoming semester, and a long blog album was just what I needed. Smokers Delight actually turned out to be a good choice in this endeavor. Although I don't love the electronic genre as a whole, the chill, kinda trippy vibe of the album was great background motivation for research and writing. I could pay enough attention to it to know what was going on, but it faded into the background just enough that I could focus on the tasks at hand too.
Favorite Tracks: Bless My Soul; Nights Introlude; Rise

No comments:

Post a Comment