Thursday, August 6, 2015

#357: Al Green - Let's Stay Together (1972)


Zack: Every once in a while, I like to just randomly start signing Let’s Stay Together or I’m Still in Love With You by Al Green. I like to do it in occasions that clearly do not warrant crooning. I don’t know why I do this. In fact, those are probably the only Al Green songs I know. Now that I’ve listened to an entire album, I can certainly see why those two songs seemed to have been ingrained directly into my soul. Let’s Stay Together (the album) was smooth and soulful. It was the type of album I could see myself putting on while I relaxed with a glass of wine after a hard day of working, regardless of whether Emily was present at the time. If I’m putting Al Green relative to his contemporaries, honestly, I’m taking Gaye, Wonder, and Redding over Al Green, with Isaac Hayes bringing up the rear. But I’ve genuinely loved the albums I’ve listened to by all of those guys, so I don’t mean that as any type of insult. Basically, I’ve found soul music to be an incredibly ripe genre that only seems to bear delicious fruits.
Favorite Tracks: Let’s Stay Together; I’ve Never Found a Girl (Who Loves Me Like You Do): How Can You Mend a Broken Heart?

Emily: '70s soul is one of the most remarkably consistent subgenres we've encountered through this blog. While some of it is just okay, it never veers towards bad and frequently can be considered great. There's just something about the combination of horns, guitars, and smooth vocals that just works. Let's Stay Together keeps up that tradition. Although the high point is definitely the title track, Al Green has created a great 35 minutes of classic soul that feels just as important today as I'm sure it did in 1972.
Favorite Tracks: Let's Stay Together; What Is This Feeling?; I’ve Never Found a Girl (Who Loves Me Like You Do)

No comments:

Post a Comment