Sunday, August 30, 2015

#363: The The - Infected (1986)


Zack: The only things I knew about The The are that they one of those bands that rock critics think is way more important than anyone else and that they seem to have picked a name just to fuck with Microsoft Word. Even as I type this document, every time I write “The The,” like 17 words get underlined. Word is so sure that that cannot be write. Anyway, Infected was a solid album, and definitely less boring that most of The The’s contemporaries (or at least those that we’ve encountered so far). Infected is dark and complex. Unfortunately, while this complexity did make the listen more interesting, it didn’t really entice me into peeling back the layers. I can’t see myself listening to Infected on a long bus ride at any point in the future or even putting any of the songs listed below in any playlists I have planned. But, hey, I still didn’t hate the album!
Favorite Tracks: Heartland; Twilight of a Champion; Out of the Blue (Into the Fire)

Emily: The The is another band on this list that seems to have been really big in the UK while barely getting a blip of recognition here. Much like the other bands of that sort we've encountered before, The The is also an '80s New Wave/post-punk band that came about while Americans were much more focused on Michael Jackson and Madonna. While you can decide for yourself if that is a good or a bad thing, I definitely prefer American '80s pop music over relatively obscure British '80s New Wave. That's probably an unfair comparison to make, though, since they're totally different in both their scope and their sound. Infected is a pretty good album, in fact, when considered alongside its peers. Although bombastic at times, it's more human and interesting than many of its bleep-bloop synthesizer-heavy counterparts. But does that mean I'll choose it over Thriller? Of course not.
Favorite Tracks: Infected; The Mercy Beat; Heartland

No comments:

Post a Comment