Tuesday, August 4, 2015

#355: Circle Jerks - Group Sex (1980)


Zack: While I know full well that I am repeating myself for at least the 15th time, hardcore punk is my least favorite brand of punk. And Circle Jerks are about as hardcore as it gets. But Group Sex is everything you expect it to be: loud, fast, and over just as quickly as an orgy at a house where the parents couldn’t get grandma to take the kids on short notice. For me, some of those sprints of mayhem really landed. Other fell flat. In general, I’d say that the former easily outweighed the latter. But I’ve started to wonder if we really need this many hardcore albums when I have such a hard time telling the difference. Group Sex was as good as it could have been (tee-hee), but I’m legitimately beginning to think that a second Ramones album or a third Clash album would have been more deserving of this spot.
Favorite Tracks: I Just Want Some Skank; Live Fast Die Young; Group Sex

Emily: My roommate is dogsitting this week for a very cute bichon-poodle mix named Whitney. As soon as I turned Group Sex on this morning, she started growling and continued to do so for most of the duration of the album (which, granted, was only 15 minutes long). While its likely that she was just growling at another dog, or the mailman, or a car, or any other random passers-by, I like to think that it started because of the hardcore stylings of the Circle Jerks. That pretty much sums this album up: its loud, fast, and screamy enough to make a little dog growl at you for 15 minutes straight.
Favorite Tracks: I Just Want Some Skank; Operation; Group Sex

No comments:

Post a Comment