Wednesday, August 5, 2015

#356: Dr. Dre - The Chronic (1992)


Zack: Did I have to relisten to this album before writing my review? Of course not. I’ve listened to That Chronic at least a half dozen times, and probably more like double that. But I still played it again, to make sure it was fresh in my mind when I wrote this. I have a hard time thinking of another album from that same era where the beats sound as fresh and futuristic as the ones on Dre’s solo debut. Some of the beats sound like they should have been on Kendrick’s To Pimp a Butterfly this year. It’s incredible how seemingly clairvoyant Dr. Dre seems to be as a producer. And then you listen to the lyrics. For how impressive it is that The Chronic avoids sounding dated musically, I struggle to think of how it could sound any more dated lyrically. Once you get past all the schoolyard taunts directed at former bandmate Eazy-E, there’s still just an entire vat of homophobia, sexism, and just plain ignorance. I’m willing to overlook that when it comes to Eminem because it always sort of felt like the points was just to offend, and that what he was saying was just trolling for a laugh. Dre clearly means it, and that’s far less excusable. In general, whenever I listen to The Chronic, I do my absolute best to block out the actual words. I appreciate how fucking smooth Snoop is all over nearly every track (seriously, this is basically a collaboration album) and I bounce along with the beats. Because once you let the words get to you, this album really loses its luster.
Favorite Tracks: Nuthin’ But a G Thang; Lyrical Gangbang; Bitches Ain’t Shit

Emily: A few days ago, Zack excitedly texted me that Dr. Dre announced that he will be releasing an album to accompany the upcoming Straight Outta Compton movie. For Dre, this is a big deal, since he hasn't released an album in over 15 years (15 years and 9 months according to Zack, but who's counting?). I knew this was a big deal when Zack said he would actually consider paying for the album. And, of course, it made my review of The Chronic super timely. Although I've heard Dr. Dre's production on numerous albums and songs (Eminem, Snoop Dogg, etc.), I'd never actually listened to his own music before today. In all honesty, I wasn't really a fan. Although the G-funk sound is unique and interesting, I found myself wishing for more funk and less G. That sounds has definitely evolved and matured since 1992, though, so I'm definitely curious to see what Dre's sound will be like now.
Favorite Tracks: Nuthin’ But a G Thang; Lyrical Gangbang; Bitches Ain’t Shit

No comments:

Post a Comment