Wednesday, August 19, 2015

#360: Scottt Walker - Scott 2 (1968)


Emily: Blessedly, this album has nothing to do with Wisconsin governor and GOP presidential candidate named Scott Walker. Unfortunately, it's still not great. To me, Scott 2 felt like the soundtrack to a bad musical. It was just over-the-top without much substance that I could pick up on with a first listen. Maybe it's a little better as you hear it more, or if it were actually staged with a cohesive story. But for now, I think I'll take a pass on Scott 2.
Favorite Tracks: Jackie; The Girls from the Streets; Best of Both Worlds

Zack: Much like Carole King, I originally listened to this album back in early June. Unlike Carole King, I didn’t remember anything about it. I couldn’t remember what genre it was, if I had known any songs, or even if I thought the album was good or bad. So my relisten here essentially involved flying in blind. I hope I don’t forget about this album again, because it’s kind of a trip. Walker’s voice booms out in accompaniment of grandiose instrumentation. For the most part, it feels kind of over the top. Even borders on cheesy. But the topics of the songs are serious enough and the sincerity is so strong that Scott 2 drifts away from the Meatloaf zone into a more fun region of the enjoyment spectrum. I think it’s safe to say that the favorite Scott Walker tournament is officially over, and the champion is not anyone currently seeking the GOP nomination.
Favorite Tracks: Jackie; Next; Wait Until Dark

No comments:

Post a Comment