Monday, November 1, 2010

#15: R.E.M. - Document (1987)


Zack: I'd never listened to an entire R.E.M. album before this one and I've got to say, it was a bit underwhelming. I love all of the singles by them that get radio play which probably preconditioned me to have high expectations because I was left wanting more. That isn't to say it wasn't a good album, though. It started out pretty weak but by the time you hit the half-way mark, the album had picked up and it carried its strength all the way through to the end. Also, they named a song after my favorite blues musician! You gotta love that.
Favorite Tracks: It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine), Lightnin' Hopkins, Oldfellows Local 151

Emily: R.E.M. was one of the first and biggest college-rock bands, and it's clear why. Their sound is laid back and chill, great for tailgating perhaps. This album was solid, if not too exciting. The first few songs all sounded alike, but after the fun novelty of It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) - who doesn't love yelling "LEONARD BERNSTEIN"? - things picked up a bit.
Favorite Tracks: The One I Love, It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine), Lightnin' Hopkins

No comments:

Post a Comment