Friday, November 5, 2010

#18: Joy Division - Closer (1980)

Emily: To me this album was surprisingly modern-sounding for being 30 years old. Clearly it's transitional - the punk origins are clear, but there's also a new-wave feel to the album. A few of the songs could easily have had a background synthesizer with little impact on the overall song and feel of the album. I enjoyed listening to this album, and couldn't help but think about how great it would sound live. I envisioned the band playing in a tiny venue with tightly packed fans dancing and singing along.
Favorite Tracks: A Means to an End, Passover, Decades

Zack: This album was definitely way too cool for me. I can see a bunch of hipster kids sitting around talking about how cool Joy Division and how they hope they don't sell out like all the other good bands do while drinking fancy coffee. I knew that Joy Division was from the 80s, but the sound is so modern that you forget that this didn't get released a few years ago. Also, my favorite hip-hop artist (Lupe Fiasco) has a Joy Division inspired post punk band called Japanese Cartoon that is absolutely spectacular and everyone should listen to. As a final thought, is it closer or closer? Well, I guess that didn't really help at all. Is it like to close something or to more closer to something? Just another mystery that will go unsolved I suppose...
Favorite Tracks: A Means to an End, Decades, Colony

No comments:

Post a Comment