Tuesday, November 16, 2010

#25: Kanye West - The College Dropout (2004)


Zack: Say what you want about Kanye West's character (Barack Obama sure has), but the guy pumps out great albums. The College Dropout, the first of his university-themed releases, is a fantastic debut. Everything about it screams excellence. The production is off the charts good, his lyrics are witty, his flow is smooth, he collaborates with some of the best in the game, his skits are funny and help the flow of the album, the singles are all great, and there's plenty of gems that you just need to bob your head to. Whatever your stance on hip-hop, you should be able to appreciate this album. I bought it when I was really into rap, and even when I spurned the industry for a couple of years, I'd occasionally throw this album into the CD player and be blown away. Kanye is just terrific and I am insanely excited for the release of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy one week from today.
Favorite Tracks: Two Words, Slow Jamz, School Spirit

Emily: Even though I'm not a rap fan, I always like Kanye. I like that he doesn't just rap over beats; most of his songs have actual melodies. Samples really add to that sound, which to me makes core hip-hop more mainstream-friendly. He's also a great lyricist. The songs tell stories, but with a lot of wit and clever wordplay. Even though Kanye is always pissing people off, from President Bush to Taylor Swift to pretty much everyone, he makes great music, and his public image shouldn't overshadow that.
Favorite Tracks: All Falls Down, Spaceship, Slow Jamz

No comments:

Post a Comment