Monday, November 29, 2010

#32: Daft Punk - Homework (1997)


Zack: Let me start by saying that I was not under the influence of any mind altering substance during the listening of this album...and I think that really impaired my experience. A friend of mine who is really into house/electronic/dance music told me that others are responsible for the creation of the genre but it is Daft Punk who molded it into what it is. Some even say that their work here on Homework is the first example of a house/electronic/dance album that people could listen to outside the confines of a club. Could have fooled me. If I was hanging out in a dark room with a minimum of a dozen friends, I think I would have been more interested in this album. But listening to it in a brightly lit room with only 3 people just doesn't seem to suit the nature of the music.
Favorite Tracks: Around the World, Da Funk, Indo Silver Club

Emily: To me, techno is techno. This album was no different. It was loud, repetitive, and not too interesting. One song in particular, Rollin' and Scratchin', was seemingly just 7 minutes of noise. Multiple times I found myself saying to Zack, "This is unpleasant." I can see how in a club environment this would work, especially with glowsticks and a lot of Ecstasy, but it just doesn't work for simple, drug-free listening. Later Daft Punk is definitely more listener-friendly, like Technologic and Harder Better Faster Stronger. I would recommend those songs much more highly than anything on Homework.
Favorite Tracks: Da Funk, Burnin', Around the World

No comments:

Post a Comment