Sunday, November 28, 2010

#31: Neil Young and Crazy Horse - Rust Never Sleeps (1979)



Zack: After listening to this album, I immediately started listening to it again. In fact, as I’m writing this, I am on my third listen through. It’s that good. I really don’t even know what to compare it to. The intro and outro tracks, My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue) and Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black) have a grunge sound to them that is oh, only about 10 years ahead of its time. The middle all fluctuates between folk and hard rock effortlessly. There are absolutely no dud tracks. Neil Young’s lyrics are diverse, ranging from serious ones that sent shivers done your spine (“It’s better to burn out because rust never sleeps/The king is gone but he’s not forgotten” hits me particularly strong) to jokingly provocative lines (“I wish I was a trapper/ I would give a thousand pelts/ To sleep with Pocahontas/ And find out how she felt” makes me giggle a bit every time). I’m about to start listening to this album from the top for the fourth time. If that doesn’t convince you to check this out, then I suspect nothing will.
Favorite Tracks: Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black); Ride My Llama; Thrasher

Emily: "It is better to burn out than to fade away." Certainly Neil Young has neither burned out nor faded away, and I think this album alone could have ensured it. It was recorded live, and everything, from the instrumentation to the vocals, sounds effortlessly natural and emotional. The faint cheers in the background make you feel as if you're actually hearing Young live. The first half of the album is stripped down and acoustic, all the better to showcase Young's masterful songwriting. The second, electric half incorporates hard rock elements and showcases Young's range beyond the folk he is known for. Young created two halves that reflect and complement each other, but can also stand on their own as individual testaments to his diverse career.
Favorite Tracks: Ride My Llama; Welfare Mothers; My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue)

No comments:

Post a Comment