Tuesday, March 8, 2011

#77: Lupe Fiasco - Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor (2006)



Emily: I’m not quite sure how this happened, but somehow this list has vaguely rendered me a hip-hop fan. Now I’m sure this will change by the time we get to ‘90s gangsta, but for now I’m liking the more intellectual, socially conscious rap of the 2000s. First it was Kanye, and now we have Lupe. This album was interesting and thought-provoking, with much deeper themes than many other rap albums. Once again I was a big fan of the use of samples. Songs like Daydreamin’ bridge the gap between hip-hop and alternative. The combination of ethereal singing from the sample and Jill Scott with Lupe’s flow and lyrics create something totally unique and modern. If this is the future of hip-hop, I just may become a hip-hop fan after all.
Favorite Tracks: Sunshine; Daydreamin’; He Say She Say

Zack: Well folks, I’m afraid funny, joking Zack will not be joining you in this entry. I take my Lupe far too seriously to play around. If you look back to our very first post, you can see that Lupe stood alone as a hip-hop artist in my top five. I love me some rap, but I’ve always been more into the rock scene. Lupe is the only artist who bucks that trend, even if we were to extend the list to top 10. He’s a transcendent artist. Jay-Z described him as “a breath of fresh air” in a stagnant rap scene. That’s Jigga himself, one of the greatest rappers of all time, saying he’s phenomenal. Carries a little bit more weight than me saying it, doesn’t it? Food & Liquor, his first studio album, is a perfect example of why he is so acclaimed as an artist. You listen to it, and you realize pretty quickly that it’s not like any other hip-hop album around. My third favorite song on the album won a Grammy! THIRD!!! The only thing sharper than the wit in his lyrics is their point. He cuts through all the bullshit that usually fills radio hip-hop and presents a series of tracks that are purely fantastic. His flow is smooth and fluctuates from breakneck speeds and slowed down, emphasis-centered sections effortlessly. The production is stunning as well. Not surprising since it was handled by such big names as The Neptunes, Kanye, and Mike Shinoda. Beyond this album, though, is something even more. Lupe was the first hip-hop artist I ever saw live (along with Asher Roth) and he puts the same intensity that goes into crafting each of his albums into that show. He truly gave it his all. Lupe is a king in the rap game. To me, he can do no wrong. Both Food & Liquor and The Cool are tremendous. He kills it live. He even dominates as a post-punk frontman in Japanese Cartoon. And when I finally get my hands on Lasers later today (after years of waiting), I expect nothing less than to be blown away.
Favorite Tracks: Hurt Me Soul; Kick, Push; Daydreamin’

No comments:

Post a Comment