Thursday, March 10, 2011

#79: UB40 - Signing Off (1980)


Zack: Good ol’ reggae. Even though it’s raining where I am right now, it still makes me feel like I’m lounging on the shores of Jamaica with a daiquiri in one hand and a tropical woman in the other. Those Jamaicans sure do know how to devise a catchy tune. Naturally, however, the British do it better. That’s right. Our friends from across the pond went through a phase where they just loved to take the traditional music from the Caribbean and serve it with a spot of tea. I don’t know if they did it so that they could pretend it doesn’t rain almost every day there or if it’s just part of that British wit that we Americans fail to understand, but they may have been on to something. UB40 is a very relaxing and fun band and Signing Off really represents that. It naturally fades into the background and makes whatever you’re doing at that moment more upbeat. You find yourself smiling and nodding your head with no recollection of when you started. It may be less Bob Marley and more Robert Marley the III of Yorkshire, but it still carries the same aura as its island predecessor.
Favorite Tracks: Food for Thought; Signing Off; King

Emily: Believe it or not, I've seen UB40 live. They performed at Live 8 in 2005, and I was in the audience. Granted, I was behind Jumbotron #3, I was 13 years old, and I don't remember anything about their performance, but the name has stuck with me since then. Having actually listened to their music 5 1/2 years later, I can kind of see why the music didn't stick - but that's not at all to say it's bad. Signing Off is an example of reggae at its finest. It's laid back and relaxing - definitely a welcome change of pace after yesterday's selection - but also has a pointed political message. I would like to listen to the album again to truly get a sense of that message - it's definitely stronger than the island rhythms make it out to be.
Favorite Tracks: Burden of Shame; Little By Little; Tyler

No comments:

Post a Comment