Friday, March 18, 2011

#81: Sufjan Stevens - Illinois (2005)


Emily: Does every state deserve its own album? Well, if they could all be like Sufjan Stevens' Illinois, then perhaps each state does deserve a musical treatment. This album embodies its concept without being too hokey and cliche. Clever lyrics, including a surprising AP U.S. History reference to the Lincoln-Douglas Debates, paint a new image of the humble Midwestern state to the rest of the world. But what really makes this album unique and successful is the wide range of styles. Slowed-down songs are soft without being sleepy, and faster paced songs are both fun and folky. Illinois a well-done, loving homage to its namesake state. How about Pennsylvania next, Sufjan?
Favorite Tracks: Come On! Feel the Illinoise!; The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts; Jacksonville

Zack: This album definitely prompted me to feel the Illinoise. Before you worship me as the god of clever quips that I am, I should probably mention that, while the actual title is Illinois, the stylized cover title is Come on Feel the Illinoise. So I can't take total credit for that one. If you still want to worship me after admitting that, however, I certainly encourage it. This album was appealing to listen to, which came as a surprise to me since it was labeled under "Indie Pop" in my iTunes. When I didn't hear 13 minute harpsicord solos, it had already exceeded my expectations. Stylistically, it fluctuates between slow tempo songs that I felt were simply beautiful and slightly faster paced songs that were still smooth. My only real complaint is that he hasn't continued their state-based album concept. I would love to hear Sufjan's rendering of my home state of New Jersey. I mean, there's so much to talk about. There's The Boss, Woodrow Wilson, Toni Morrison, Jon Bon Jovi, Jon Stewart, that whole McGreavy thing....uh....sleaze! We practically invented sleaze, no matter what Rob Blagojevich's hair says. And there's so many possibilities for titles! Dirty Jersey, Flirty Jersey, Newer Jersey, Newest Jersey. Just for starters, anyways. Come on Sufjan. You would be doing a disservice to the most densely populated state not to...
Favorite Tracks: Jacksonville; The Seer's Tower; They Are Night Zombies!! They Are Neighbors!! They Have Come Back From the Dead!! Ahhhhh!

No comments:

Post a Comment