Saturday, March 5, 2011

#74: The Offspring - Smash (1994)


Zack: Out of the three major punk revival bands (Green Day, Rancid, The Offspring), this is the only band that I can’t bring myself to mock mercilessly. Quite frankly, The Offspring are just too good. When I need my punk fix, they’re one of the first bands I turn to. Their music is guaranteed to get you through even your most severe punk withdrawals. Everything you need is there. They’re fast, loud, and rebellious. Most of all, they’re consistent. Every Offspring album is great, but I have to agree with the authors of the list (who I always imagine as a group of robed men and women standing around a fire passing judgment, Gladiator-style) that Smash is their best work. From start to finish, it’s got everything you need to start your own mosh pit. In the end, that may be the greatest reward an album can get…
Favorite Tracks: Self Esteem; Nitro (Youth Energy); Killboy Powerhead

Emily: This album is a lot of fun. Loud, fast, moshy fun. The Offspring's early stuff tends to have that effect. While sticking close to their punk roots, they also venture into ska, pop, and metal with great success. The Offspring are definitely one of the bands I have on my list to see live. I almost did a couple summers ago, but they were co-headlining with Papa Roach and I really couldn't bring myself above shame to buy those tickets. Anyway, hearing punk live is an experience. It's sweaty, crazy, and filled with unnecessarily spiky people - yet the music translates so well to an audience that it's amazingly fun. I think The Offspring would fit that mold perfectly. They've gone a little emo in the past few years, but I can always come back to vintage Offspring for a '90s neo-punk fix.
Favorite Tracks: Come Out and Play; Self Esteem; It'll Be A Long Time

2 comments:

  1. How are you gonna mock Rancid over the Offspring Zack Attack? Rancid is such a good band and the Offspring are fun in a Sum 41 way at best... Green Day was even more real in the early 90's than the Offspring. Just saying, all of them were posing but Rancid wrote good songs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. several quick comments from Zack in list form:

    1. Don't ever call me Zack Attack again. Ever. I will find you.

    2. I typed this whole thing out and then Blogger decided that I was done and signed me out. The they kicked me off the site, just for good measure. Erg.

    3. Sum 41's All Killer No Filler was actually the first album I purchased so if that was supposed to be an insult, then you have failed.

    4. I'm sure I speak for both of us when I say that we really appreciate having a loyal reader such as yourself and we hope you continue to follow us and offer us your feedback.

    5. I grew up on The Offspring. Their singles are catchy enough that they appealed to me as a little kid and they still had a hard enough edge that I continued to like them well into my angsty teenage years.

    6. I actually do like Rancid. More than Green Day anyways. The thing is that I like Operation Ivy more so nothing they will ever do will measure up to me personally. The fact that Energy didn't make the cut gets my blood boiling.

    7. That being said, ...And Out Come the Wolves should absolutely be on the list as well. The fact that it isn't offends me. Deeply. Fuck whoever neglected it because it definitely deserves a spot. I would still give an opening to Energy above that album, both they both deserve a listen.

    8. I think the name Rancid is just ridiculous. Like it's trying too hard to be punk rock. It doesn't even have a "the" in the name! That's pretty much mandatory. The Ramones, The Clash, The Sex Pistols, The Dead Kennedys. I rest my case. Had they gone with The Rancid, it would have increased their cred 20 times. Minimum.

    9. Seriously though. Thank you for reading and taking the time to communicate your opinions to us. You're a superstar.

    ReplyDelete