Sunday, March 6, 2011

#75: Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisted (1965)

Zack: Maybe the (currently) old man could never sing, but he’s always been able to write one hell of a song. Highway 61 has nine fantastic examples of that song-writing prowess in action. Every track is beautiful in its own way. And that’s despite the Kermit the Frog vocals. The writers of the list recognized Dylan’s influence on modern music by giving seven of his albums the thumbs up. Now that I think about it, with six more Dylan albums coming up, I kind of wish I hadn’t already dropped that Kermit line. But that’s beside the point. Highway 61 Revisited is a classic example of Dylan at his best. Every song is folksy and well-constructed. And, no matter what, Dylan proves that he can dominate a harmonica like no one else. He is a music icon that nobody else can rival.
Favorite Tracks: Like a Rolling Stone; Highway 61 Revisited; Ballad of a Thin Man

Emily: This list keeps changing my preconceptions about music. First, it vaguely makes me a rap fan. Now, it has made me not hate Bob Dylan as much as I once did. I still think he can't sing to save his life, but Dylan is a legendary songwriter. His music is a reflection of a time of tremendous turmoil and change. The lyrics are powerful protests, coupled with a simple folk sound that really lets the message shine through. For that alone this album is a classic, and has certainly made Dylan a musical legend. Even if I can sing better than him.
Favorite Tracks: Tombstone Blues; Desolation Row; Like a Rolling Stone

No comments:

Post a Comment