Saturday, March 12, 2011

#80: The Smiths - Meat is Murder (1985)



Emily: The Smiths do melancholy the right way. Meat is Murder is music for sad teenagers, but only if those teenagers are cool and edgy at the same time. The band mixes alternative instrumentation, a bit of synth, and a hint of punk to create a unique sound that even today is relevant and modern. Morrissey’s heartbreakingly beautiful vocals add the melancholy element to the slowed-down tracks and vibrant energy to more upbeat ones. I absolutely loved this album. Maybe I’m just a wannabe edgy teenager at heart, or maybe it’s because I just watched (500) Days of Summer (in which the music of The Smiths play a fairly prominent role), or maybe this album actually is just as awesome as I think it is. Whatever the reason, I’m definitely looking forward to the remaining Smiths albums on this list.
Favorite Tracks: Rusholme Ruffians; How Soon Is Now; That Joke Isn’t Funny Anymore

Zack: While I may not agree with the title of this album, it definitely has a sound I can get behind. Besides for the obvious pro-salad message, it also unabashedly spews out opinions on a myriad of other issues. But when accompanied to such hypnotizing vocals and an equally persuasive instrumentation, it’s hard to begrudge them.
Favorite Tracks: The Headmaster Ritual, Meat is Murder; Barbarism Begins at Home

No comments:

Post a Comment