Saturday, July 2, 2011

#105: Roxy Music - Roxy Music (1972)



Zack: I knew two things about this album going. One: I knew that Brian Eno was the featured synthesizerer. Two: I knew that Brian Eno would later go on to be one of the pioneers and most influential artists of the New Wave/electronic/techno hybrid known as ambient, or music that is specifically designed to fade into the background. With those two things in mind, I thought it safe to assume that Roxy Music would also fade into the background and enhance my Solitaire experience. Well, I regret to inform you readers out there that, for once, I…. gulp…. was………. wrong. Every song reaches out and grabs you. And then it won’t let go. No matter how much you cry and beg for mercy. I was so distracted by its awesomess that I completely forgot about my game of Solitaire. But in the end, I would have to say that it was totally worth it.
Favorite Tracks: Ladytron; 2HB; The Bob (Medley)

Emily: When I think of ‘70s music, alternative certainly isn’t the first thing that comes to mind. But that’s what Roxy Music was doing in 1972. Their self-titled debut begins to bridge the gap between the experimental art rock of the late ‘60s and the glam and punk sounds that came along in the late ‘70s. Drawing from these genres and postmodern pop culture, Roxy Music is an innovative and creative album from an equally innovative and creative band. 
Favorite Tracks: Sea Breezes; Re-Make/Re-Model; If There Is Something

No comments:

Post a Comment