Monday, July 25, 2011

#114: Isaac Hayes - Shaft (1971)


Zack: I can’t mention this album without at least pointing out that this is the voice of Chef. But since there’s another Isaac Hayes album on the list and there’s more than enough to say about this album anyway, I’ll have to pause the Chef ramblings until another day. First off, while perusing Wikipedia, I saw that this album hit #1 on several charts, including one “Black Albums.” Curious if there was actually a separate chart for black people past Brown v. Board of Education, I clicked on the link. It took me to the page for “Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums.” Wow. Awesome random racism, Wikipedia. Besides for that, I also learned that Isaac Hayes originally became involved in this project because he was hoping to score the title role. Seriously? The character’s name is Shaft. Did Marvin Gaye already have dibs on “Just Thatip?” But I digress. This is a soundtrack, so most of the songs are instrumentals meant to be heard while watching something. Usually, this is what dooms soundtracks from the very beginning. But Mr. Hayes manages to infuse enough funk and soul into the music to still keep it interesting. But let’s be honest. With a powerful, sextastic voice like Isaac Hayes, you need some vocals. Of the fifteen tracks on the double album, only three feature singing, but they are easily the three best songs. His voice is just so deep and seducing. He could be singing about anything and all I would hear is “I’m gonna make love to you womaaaaaaaan. I’m gonna lay you down by the fiiiiiiraaaaaaah.” I know I said the South Park references would wait, but I just couldn’t help myself.
Favorite Tracks: Do Your Thing; Theme from Shaft; Soulsville 

Emily: I’ve never seen Shaft, but I’m pretty sure it doesn’t show up on any 1001 top movies list. The soundtrack, however, is a different story. It is one of the rare movie soundtracks that became ridiculously more successful than the movie itself, and it’s easy to hear why. Many soundtracks just serve as filler to the movie, but Isaac Hayes made the music to Shaft able to stand on its own. He composed and performed the entire album, which is a collection of instrumental scene-setting tracks interspersed with a few vocal performances. To me, the sound was kind of soul-meets-space. The songs have a futuristic quality about them, but are also full of classic soul sounds and grooves. This creative combination elevates Shaft above lowly soundtrack status to become a 70s soul classic.

Favorite Tracks: Theme from Shaft; Soulsville; Do Your Thing

No comments:

Post a Comment