Saturday, July 9, 2011

#108: The Clash - London Calling (1979)


Zack: I’ve always considered myself a Ramones fan, which in my mind also meant that I had a general apathy towards the Clash as if there was some sort of hidden rivalry between the two, even though I’m like 99% sure that this beef only exists in my head. Despite all that, I was really curious to listen to London Calling, since my only Clash experiences have pretty much been via radio. I knew it was a highly decorated album with universal acclaim and that all CD versions naturally emanate a glorious orange glow, but that was about it. That orange glow part may be an exaggeration, but upon listening to the album you would swear it might as well be true. My interest was initially peaked by this Sporcle quiz (as per usual) where (spoiler alert) London Calling appears on the two lists that I actually trust. You know, not the one who incorporates two (spoiler alert) Oasis albums including the #1 spot. The Clash took there punkedness and infused it with a splash of just about everything. The result is a catchy but still edgy album that beats its message into your skull using a guitar like a hammer. Which I guess makes it like a reverse-lobotomy. Anyways, London Calling blew me away. Just 8 reviews ago, during our 100 Album Spectacular, I mentioned that it would take a magnificent album to unseat Are You Experienced? as my favorite album. I think it may have already been done.
Favorite Tracks: London Calling; Lost in the Supermarket; Train in Vain

Emily: The Clash are one of those bands I should’ve gotten into years ago. My friend gave me a couple tracks back in the day, and those tracks remain the only Clash songs on my iPod to this very day. I liked the songs well enough, but actually finding and listening to more of their music was not exactly a priority. Well, after today, I am definitely a converted Clash fan. They are so much more than their punk labeling makes them out to be. London Calling definitely has the rebellious spirit of punk, but incorporates different sounds of the time and place – ska (which of course I loved), soul, pop, reggae – to create a real, compelling interpretation of UK music circa 1979. Each song has a different feel to it, partly due to the wide range of musical influences, but also due to the subject matter. The lyrics deal with subjects as far ranging as the Three Mile Island accident (London Calling) to the Spanish Civil War (Spanish Bombs) to Joe Strummer looking back on his life (Death or Glory). But each subject is handled with passion and thoughtfulness. London Calling is simply a fantastic album, and one that I know I will listen to again and again.
Favorite Tracks: The Guns of Brixton; London Calling; Clampdown

No comments:

Post a Comment