Tuesday, July 5, 2011

#107: Devendra Banhart - Rejoicing in the Hands (2004)


Emily: As I was listening to Rejoicing in the Hands, my friend Jen said she was looking for some soft, lullaby-ish music. Luckily, I didn’t have to look (or, rather, listen) too far. Devendra Banhart’s brand of modern folk has a quiet, sleepy quality to it that seemed to fit the bill perfectly. That’s not to say he’s boring, however. The pretty, thoughtful music can peacefully fade into the background, but listen more closely. Banhart’s eclectic style is revealed as the music evolves throughout the album, keeping the listener engaged and wondering what could be coming next.
Favorite Tracks: See Saw; Autumn’s Child; This Beard is for Siobhan

Zack: “So what are you up to tonight, Zack?”
“Not much. Probably just gonna hang around. Oh, and I think I’m listening to a Devendra Banhart album for the blog.”
“Dude! I love Devendra Banhart!”
This is a conversation I had with my friend/co-worker Matt Henry. Unfortunately, I can’t type the way he talks, or else it would be much funnier. But he got me excited to listen to this album. Turns out, excited isn’t really the right way to go into it. It’s all acoustic and very mellow, but with a touch of lo-fi handywork. Kind of like an indiefied Jack Johnson. Rejoicing in the Hands is a great clear-your-head album. It was enjoyable, but not exactly inspiring. At a loss for what to write, I decided to wait until the following day and talk it over with Matt, in case he knew some interesting tidbits about the album that Wikipedia failed to illuminate:
“So I listened to Rejoicing in the Hands Last Night”
“Oh I love that album! Not my favorite but it’s definitely really good.”
“Yeah I thought so too. I’m not really sure what to write about though. Any ideas?”
“You should check out Niño Rojo. That album’s really good.”
“Okay, I will. But that doesn’t really help me with this review.”
“I don’t know, man. Insect Eyes is a pretty creepy song.”
As you can see, that was not particularly helpful. Still unable to think of anything to write, I toyed with the idea of writing an entire review based around how I made it halfway through the album before I realized Devendra was a dude. That didn’t quite seem like enough material, especially since I summed up my whole point in one sentence there. But then it hit me! What if I write a review about how I didn’t know what to write about the album. And here we are.
Favorite Tracks: Fall; This Is the Way; Insect Eyes


1 comment:

  1. Great review! Love the site...keep it up!!!

    Liz
    (www.1001albums.com)

    ReplyDelete