Saturday, April 16, 2011

#88: Elvis Costello - My Aim is True (1977)


Zack: When I listened to this album, I heard a snapshot of a very eclectic UK music scene. In '77, punk rock was in full effect (The Ramones formed in 1974 and The Clash 2 years after), and Costello pays homage in I'm Not Angry. The second ska wave was just beginning (The Specials united in 1977), and Watching the Detective really seemed to capture that sound. When I think of the vague conceptual understanding of "pub rock" that I have, I hear the song Alison playing in my head. But beyond just bringing all the trendy new rock genres that were emerging around London together, Costello also paid homage to a lot of the older musicians who had inspired him. Miracle Man had a sort of Buddy Holly-Crickets feel to it that made me think I was listening to a catchy little ditty from the '50s. All of these elements converging in one album so well made it a fun album that was also extremely hard to classify. If I had to place it in some genre or other, I would go with classic rock, because it really has earned its place as a classic.
Favorite Tracks: Alison; I'm Not Angry; Watching the Detective

Emily: I've heard the name Elvis Costello bouncing around music channels and Rolling Stone for a long time, but before today I had absolutely no idea what his music was about. All I really knew was that Zack classified him under classic rock, but that's a pretty wide-ranging genre. I went into listening to My Aim is True with a completely open mind, not knowing what to expect. What I heard was an eclectic sound that, to me, is based in '50s rock & roll. Add a few other rock influences from throughout the previous decades, and you end up with an album that's just plain cool. I may not have known Elvis Costello before, but now I am definitely looking forward to the rest of his music on the list.
Favorite Tracks: Blame It On Cain; I'm Not Angry; Alison

No comments:

Post a Comment