Sunday, April 3, 2011

#84: Foo Fighters - Foo Fighters (1995)


Zack: Is there any way I can talk about this album without seeming like a raving Foo Fighters lunatic? Absolutely not, so I'm not even going to try. On the first post, I sat in my chair, staring at my computer screen, trying to come to terms with myself about leaving the Foo Fighters off my top 5 list. It was hard to do. Weighing my love of Lupe and Streetlight against them was damn near heartbreaking. In the end, I have to accept the consequences of the choices I made, and so I would like to take this opportunity to say that the Foo Fighters are my number six, and a close one at that. And for those of you pondering what comes after that, Red Hot Chili Peppers at seven and The Who at eight. From there it gets complicated and I would need time to figure it out. For now, let's just worry about this album, which should not be the only representation of the Foos on the list. If there could be only one, I would pick Colour and the Shape (shout-out to my sister Heather for buying it for me as one of my all-time favorite Christmas presents). After that, Echoes Silence Patience and Grace and then this here debut, which narrowly edges out There Is Nothing Left to Lose (I'm not counting Wasted Light because it won't be officially released for another week and a half, although it was leaked today and everyone should check it out because it's pretty spectacular). What's it with me and lists tonight, anyway? I don't know, but that's the last one. Well I guess the favorite tracks will be the last one. Alright. After that I'm done. Foo Fighters is a great alternative album and means a lot to the career of Dave Grohl, who had to pick up the pieces after Nirvana and prove to the world that he could also be a kick ass frontman as well as a great drummer. I think he definitely proved his point. This album blends many different rock influences. I hear some punk, grunge, metal, and I think a hint of cinnamon. It's all there and it's all splendid. Throughout his career, Grohl has matured as a song writer from the silly songs off this album to more serious ballads, but going back and listening to catchy early tunes can still be a bundle of fun.
Favorite Tracks: I'll Stick Around; Big Me; X-Static

Emily: I think Zack pretty much summed it up. The Foo Fighters have been one of the most consistently successful, acclaimed, and all-around awesome rock of the '90s and '00s, and this album laid the groundwork. Although I agree that it's not the strongest Foo Fighters album, it's still great. What's even more remarkable is that Dave Grohl plays every single instrument on this album, certainly cementing his greatness as a musician and frontman. Foo Fighters was his brainchild, and from this self-made album came an esteemed career at the forefront of alternative music. I know the Foos will keep doing great things, and I'm definitely looking forward to listening to Wasting Light the first chance I get.
Favorite Tracks: This Is a Call; Big Me; I'll Stick Around

No comments:

Post a Comment