Wednesday, April 6, 2011

#85: Depeche Mode - Violator (1990)


Emily: I expected to be a little more excited by Depeche Mode. Unfortunately, this album was just a bit boring. It has an electronic, new-wavey sound that's more subdued than other bands of the era. Although they achieve subtlety, it tends towards sleepiness rather than delicacy. I thoroughly enjoy their sound, however, when they pick up the tempo a bit. Personal Jesus, the big single off that album, has the electronic sound with much more kick to it. There's a driving beat, shout-along refrains, and blatant blasphemy - what more could you ask for? Well, perhaps an entire album with that sound...
Favorite Tracks: Personal Jesus; Enjoy the Silence; Halo

Zack: What can be said about this album that can't be summed up through snoring? Pretty much nothing, but I don't want to go to the trouble of recording myself sleeping (a tad difficult to do since I would be, well, you know, sleeping) and then have to imbed it and all that jazz. So instead, let me just tell you how boring this album was. Very. Ultimately, I think it rode a couple of highly successful singles to the top of the charts and had a good bit of fortune in just barely sneaking in to the end of the new wave movement. In just a little over a year, new wave was more or less murdered in cold blood by grunge, but Depeche Mode managed to squeak one big album in beforehand. I'm not faulting them for it (it's hard to hold good luck against someone), but I just want to point out how, had some delays on the end of the record label happened, this album would be remembered differently.
Favorite Tracks: Personal Jesus; Enjoy the Silence; Policy of Truth

No comments:

Post a Comment