Wednesday, April 13, 2011

#87: Talking Heads - Fear of Music (1979)


Zack: I vaguely remember writing that I thought '80s hipsters sat around and talked about how awesome Joy Division was. I was wrong. '80s (or late '70s if you're going to nitpick me) hipsters probably LOVED Talking Heads. Because I wasn't exactly sure what to write, I turned, as most lazy people with questions do, to Wikipedia. There, in the lyrics section, I discovered... "'Paper' compares a love affair with a simple piece of paper;" "in 'Life During Wartime,' Byrne cast himself an 'unheroic urban guerilla,' who renounced parties, survived on basic supplies like peanut butter, and heard rumours about weapons shipments and impromptu graveyards;" and, my personal favorite, "'Air' is a protest song against the atmosphere, an idea Byrne does not consider 'a joke.'" The fact that the theme of your song is so ridiculous that you need to clarify that you're serious should probably be a warning sign. One with big flashing lights. Now I'm not saying that artists should stick to normal, boring themes. And I'm definitely not saying this album was bad. In fact, I thought it was very cool and fascinating and thoroughly enjoyed it. But the fact that they seem to be taking themselves soooo seriously (at least as far as I can determine from Wikipedia, the most reliable of sources when trying to decode inflection) when their topics of choice are so over-the-top is slightly annoying.
Favorite Tracks: Cities; Heaven; Papers

Emily: According to Wikipedia, Fear of Music is supposedly rather deep and profound. Either that, or pretentious. I'm not quite sure, because I didn't get that vibe at all. As I've said before, I usually don't pick up much on lyrics the first time I listen to an album. This album was no different. What I got out of it was a fun, New-Wavey brand of post-punk that seamlessly transitioned between slower, melancholy tracks and upbeat, bouncier songs. Perhaps I need another listen to get that deeper message. Even if it's not there, this album is very good based solely on its musical merit.
Favorite Tracks: I Zimbra; Life During Wartime; Cities

No comments:

Post a Comment