Saturday, January 22, 2011

#63: Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon (1973)

(The original album art, where the beam of white light is actually a lit joint)

Zack: I've listened to this album like a gajillion times and there is really nothing quite like it. Plain and simple, it's just a phenomenon. When I was growing up and first started raiding my dad's Pink Floyd collection, I was shocked to find he didn't have this one. When I asked him about it, he said that since every song got radio play back in the day, it didn't make sense for him to buy it since it was only going to be a bunch of songs he'd already heard. Part of the reason all the songs were played is that it's easily the most listener-friendly of all Pink Floyd's works - as evidenced by the shorter track lengths - but still keeps that distinctive Floyd sound. You don't need to really crawl into Floyd as a band to enjoy it. It helps, but it's far from necessary. It's the kind of album that will simply blow your mind. But then at the end, your mind is reconstructed into a different shape altogether. It's like you go in and your mind is all pink and lobey but then you listen to the album and then it's green and orange polka dots and looks like a giraffe and you're all like "Holy shit! How did this happen!" If you're curious as to what exactly I'm talking about, then go forth and learn for yourself.
Favorite Tracks: Us and Them; Brain Damage; Money

Emily: I'm a bit ashamed to say that I had never listened to Dark Side of the Moon before today. Zack loves Pink Floyd, and one of my best friends tried to get me into them a few years back too. Nothing ever stuck. I just wasn't interested. After this one listen, however, I realized that I've been missing out. This album's psychedelic sound is innovative and different, yet still listener friendly. It's not a bunch of 10-minute long sonic opuses (opi?), but rather concise tracks that seamlessly flow into each other. I feel like it has to be listened to in its entirety - just picking out a track or two certainly will not do Pink Floyd or this iconic album justice.
Favorite Tracks: Brain Damage; Time; Eclipse

No comments:

Post a Comment