Saturday, January 8, 2011

#53: Dire Straits - Dire Straits (1978)


Zack: For about four years now, I have been pondering why Dire Straits are not more popular. If you are wondering why four years, it’s because that was roughly the first time I heard Sultans of Swing, one of my all-time favorite songs. Dire Straits are so fantastic, yet so many people seem to either not know or not care about them. I guess we’ll just have to add it to the list of mysteries that even I, the great P.I. and master of imagined credentials Zack Scott, cannot solve. But now on to reviewing the album. Besides having one of the greatest songs ever composed, played, recorded, and then listened to by human ears in Sultans of Swing, there are plenty of other reasons to adore this album as much as I do. For one thing, there is the song Down by the Waterline, which is the intro track and a damn good one at that. Another reason is the song Southbound Again, which leads you into Sultans of Swing and makes you think, “Wow! This album could not get any better,” right before you hear that first drum and that easily distinguishable guitar riff that makes you think “HOLY FUCKING MONKEY BALLS THIS JUST GOT BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” I have another six reasons why to love this album (hint: they are all names to the other six songs) but I think I’ll just save you some time and say that this is a fantastic listen and I’m holding my breath until we review the other Dire Straits album.
Favorite Tracks: Sultans of Swing; Down by the Waterline; In the Gallery

Emily: Though I'm not as overwhelmingly in love with Dire Straits as Zack is, I enjoyed this album. It has a laid back, roots-meets-blues sound that would be right at home in a British pub - it's even been categorized as "pub rock." Instrumentation is definitely the band's strong point. Every solo enhances the music, and the guitar playing is superb throughout.
Favorite Tracks: Sultans of Swing; In the Gallery; Setting Me Up

No comments:

Post a Comment