Sunday, January 9, 2011

#54: Fugees - The Score (1996)


Zack: First and foremost, I want to give big props to the Fugees for repping Jersey so hard and showing everyone that we’re much more than a bunch of muscle-bound, fake tanned idiots whose brains have absorbed too much hair gel. Second, since it’s become somewhat of a tradition that I talk about how sexy the female singers are, Lauryn Hill you are incredibly fine and talented, and I really hope the rumors of you hating whitey aren’t true because I love your voice and I would be heartbroken if we met and you tried to strangle me or something. Third, I want to mention the comparison that Lauryn made between this album and the Who’s Tommy. I’m a huge fan of the Who and I would be pissed about this if any other hip-hop artist/group made a similar claim. When it comes to the Fugees, however, I’m not offended, although I do respectively disagree. It’s true that there are thematic links between the songs that make it somewhat of a concept album, but The Score is somewhat of a creative anomaly. It exists as its own entity and comparing it to any other album just doesn’t do it justice. Finally, I want to add a disclaimer about my favorite tracks that follow. Usually it isn’t an issue for me to pick three of my favorite songs, but it’s very difficult for me here. I’ve decided on the three songs that I am most attached to, but I can make an argument for the inclusion of every single track off this album. What I’m trying to say is that if you, the readers, decide you want to look into the Fugees for the first time, I don’t recommend limiting yourself to the tracks we recommend, but rather that you listen to the entire album because it is all worth checking out.
Favorite Tracks: Ready or Not; Killing Me Softly; No Woman, No Cry

Emily: Our loyal readers already know that I'm not really a hip-hop fan. However, the Fugees are on the better end of the hip-hop I've listened to. In the more rap-heavy tracks, I enjoyed the lyrics. They are socially conscious but not preachy, with extremely creative allusions and wordplay (the '20s references in Ready or Not really stood out to me, and, of course, "Newt Gingrich sucks dick" in The Beast). My favorite song off this album, however, is Killing Me Softly. I know, it's one of very few rap-less songs on this album - but I didn't choose it by default. It is one of the best covers ever done, by any band. The Fugees take a beautiful, classic melody and make it new and even better with a modern beat and exotic instrumental accents. Lauryn Hill's outstanding voice ties it all together - you can feel the emotion with every heartbreaking lyric she sings.
Favorite Tracks: Killing Me Softly; No Woman, No Cry; The Beast

No comments:

Post a Comment