Monday, January 17, 2011

#61: The Cure - Disintegration (1989)


Zack: The Cure are a band like none other. At least not any band I've ever heard. The sincerity in delivery of the lyrics coupled with simplistic instrumentation has always made them stand out to to me. When I hear The Cure, I hear poetry. The words just seem to have been jotted down by a teenage Robert Smith into a journal late at night in his room, possibly while drinking absinthe. Of all the songs on this album, the one that sticks out to me most is Lullaby. Lullaby is more than my favorite song of this album, it is my favorite Cure song period...as of right now at least (2 more albums on the list could definitely change that). It's about being devoured by a giant spider. Now, you may be wondering "Zack, didn't you say the song was called Lullaby?" Your abso-fuckin-lutely right I did. That's the ironic part of the song. And no, I don't mean ironic in a douchey hipster way, but an actually correct use of the word ironic. A song about a nightmare called Lullaby. Take notes, future English majors.
Favorite Tracks: Lullaby; Lovesong; The Same Deep Water as You

Emily: I tend to notice music over lyrics upon first listening to an album. The Cure tend to be more lyrics-based, so the first thing I thought of when listening to Disintegration was "ambiance." The music has a dark, understated tone that fits the theme of the lyrics without overpowering them. It simply sets the mood that the lyrics project. Nearly every song begins with an instrumental introduction, which well served this mood-setting purpose. You can get a sense of the underlying emotion without even hearing one word. To truly understand this emotion, however, this album certainly deserves multiple listens. The lyrics are sometimes difficult to understand, but I think it would be well worth the time to decipher and discover their deeper meaning.
Favorite Tracks: Lovesong; Pictures of You; Disintegration

No comments:

Post a Comment