Monday, December 28, 2015

#379: The Electric Prunes - The Electric Prunes (1967)


Zack: This was one of the hardest albums for me to obtain, for reasons that I don’t quite understand. Most of the ones that are hard to track down (including the 10 or so I’m still missing, 5 years into this endeavor) are weird world albums that involve going through a translator. And then there’s the Electric Prunes, for some strange reason, which involved a series of mazes to avoid relying on Spotify. Overall, I kind of liked this album. It was short (something I am very much on record endorsing) but also had an innovative vibe to it. It didn’t give itself all the way over into psychedelia, but there was enough there mixed with a nice ambient rock thing to keep it fresh. Overall, you can hear how this was probably a major touchstone for both bands that came out a few years later as well as some a few decades later, Radiohead especially.
Favorite Tracks: I Had Too Much to Dream (Last Night); Onie; Try Me On For Size

Emily: I decided that we should listen to this album purely because of the band name. Anything with the word prune in it is always amusing to me. In Ocean City, MD, where my family has gone on vacation for years, there's a donut shop called The Fractured Prune that has a logo depicting an anthropomorphic prune on crutches with bandages. The donuts are quite delicious, but it's the name and logo that I always remember. I think the same will be true for The Electric Prunes. Their self-titled album is a solid example of '60s early psychedelia, with the trippiness balanced out by atmospheric rock. However, the name is still my favorite part, and I know that's what I'll remember down the line.
Favorite Tracks: I Had Too Much to Dream (Last Night); Train For Tomorrow; Get Me to the World On Time

No comments:

Post a Comment