Sunday, December 6, 2015

#375: Randy Newman - Sail Away (1972)


Emily: The only reason I even know who Randy Newman is is You've Got a Friend in Me. Toy Story was one of my favorite movies as a kid, and I still maintain that it is the best Pixar movie even after 20 years of Pixar movies. So I kind of expected that Sail Away would sound like the simple folk-pop of You've Got a Friend in Me and the rest of the Toy Story soundtrack, even though the albums were recorded over 20 years apart in time. Turns out I was pretty much right, though. The style of Sail Away is very similar to the Toy Story sound - pop songs with pretty piano arrangements and simple lyrics that make for a wholly enjoyable listen. Perhaps that's why Pixar tapped Newman for the soundtrack in the first place.
Favorite Tracks: Political Science; Dayton, Ohio - 1903; Last Night I Had a Dream

Zack: Randy Newman is best known today for writing music for Pixar films. Unfortunately, I am apparently the only person from my generation who is ambivalent to Pixar, so this doesn’t do a hell of a lot for me. I went into Sail Away mostly curious if Newman always sang that way or if his current voice was some terrible accident. Turns out that he’s the only singer from the 1970s who sounds the same today. It also turns out that he’s a lyrical genius. His song Last Night I Had a Dream perfectly captures what it’s like to try and explain your dream to someone. And I quote (clears throat):

Last night I had a dream
You were in it, I was in it with you
Everyone that I knew
And everyone that you know was in my dream
I saw a vampire
I saw a ghost
Everybody scared me but you sacred me the most
In the dream I had last night
In the dream I had last night
In my dream

It started out in a barnyard at sundown
And everyone was laughing and you were lying on the ground
You said, "Honey, can you tell me what you name is?"
"Honey, can you tell me what your name is?"
I said, "You know what my name is."

Last night I had a dream
You were in it, I was in it with you
Everyone that I knew
And everyone that you know was in my dream
I saw a vampire
I saw a ghost
Everybody scared me but you sacred me the most
In the dream I had last night
In the dream I had last night
In my dream

Absolute magic. The rising action. The character development. The romantic subplot. Simply superb. In all honesty, not every song was as vapid as Last Night I Had a Dream. Some, like Political Science, had real heart to it (although it certainly is not up to the statistical methods of the field even in his era, but I suppose I’ll let that go). They’re almost all backed by a soothing piano. Nothing on Sail Away was particularly exciting, but it was a simple and fun listen.
Favorite Tracks: Political Science; Lonely at the Top; You Can Leave Your Hat On

No comments:

Post a Comment