Thursday, December 17, 2015

#378: Missy Elliott - Supa Dupa Fly (1997)


Zack: When we first started this whole ordeal and I looked over the albums that had been selected to represent hip-hop, I was really confused why Missy Elliot was elected to be represented twice. A very small number of rappers got more than one album, and the list of people who didn’t included names like Jay-Z, Nas, Dr. Dre, 2Pac, Snoop Dogg, Kanye, and (I admit I’m biased on this one) Lupe Fiasco. I even came to resent Missy a little bit for taking two spots when I wasn’t completely convinced she should even have one (I’ve named the rappers who are so notably shunned by the list before). But over the course of the past year or so, my stance has softened. Part of that was probably that moment when I found out Missy Elliot would be joining Katy Perry at the Super Bowl halftime shows and I thought that would be cool. Part was probably that time I got a girl in my PhD program to sing Work It in the grad lab, because that was hysterical. And now, we’re here, and I’m happy to report that Supa Dupa Fly deserves its place. Honestly, Missy Elliot’s rapping has very little to do with it. She’s pretty subpar, from start to finish. But Timbaland’s production is absolutely ridiculous, and Missy works it (the production that is) to create a certain aesthetic. It’s the same general air that manifests in her famous music videos from this era, as well. Supa Dupa Fly isn’t about the lyrical skills or technical rapping proficiency; it’s about a general atmosphere that emerges from an incredible partnership between Missy and Timbaland. It also helps that Missy’s shortcomings are offset some by the liberal use of guest features (Da Brat’s verse in particular is awesome). In general, Supa Dupa Fly deserves its spot, although I reserve judgment on whether she should have two albums until I hear Under Construction.
Favorite Tracks: Sock It 2 Me; Friendly Skies; Hit ‘Em Wit Da Hee

Emily: Missy Elliot recently released her first single, WTF, after a ten-year hiatus from recording albums. She's produced and done some guest spots and soundtrack stuff in the meantime, but with word out now that she's almost done her new album with Timbaland, now is a more appropriate time than ever to visit her debut album, Supa Dupa Fly. And we didn't even plan it that way! I definitely had the new song in mind while I was listening to her debut, as well as some of her later hits like Lose Control and Work It. Probably because of this influence, I was surprised that Supa Dupa Fly wasn't more energetic and explosive. It didn't even have that much rapping. What it does have, though, is some super-unique production from Timbaland that shows just how much potential there was in their partnership that emerged in her subsequent hits. Although this wasn't my favorite hip-hop album we've listened to on here, it did make me really excited to hear what's next - Under Construction, later on the list, as well as this new album that could bring the Missy-Timbaland sound into 2015.
Favorite Tracks: The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly); Sock It 2 Me; They Don't Wanna Fuck Wit Me

No comments:

Post a Comment