Sunday, December 6, 2015

#374: Anthrax - Among the Living (1987)


Zack: Of the Big 4 thrash metal bands, Anthrax was the one I was least excited to listen to. Metallica and Megadeth are just such big names that you want to see what all the fuss is about, and the few Slayer songs I know pique my interest enough that I want to know what a whole album of violent pandemonium (is that redundant?) sounds like. But I’ve got nothing on Anthrax, other than Scott Ian always seemed pleasant when he was giving commentary on VH1 shows and that time he was in a band for a reality show (also on VH1) with Ted Nugent and a bunch of other seemingly insane people. Also, they had a song called Madhouse on one of the Guitar Heroes, although I don’t remember really liking that song and it isn’t on this album anyway. Having officially dumped all of my Anthrax-related knowledge on the table, I found Among the Living to be kind of dull. It didn’t really have the same weight or ferocity that other thrash metal albums we’ve come across have. If you’ve read my reviews for lots of those albums, you’ll know that that could easily end up being a good thing. But here, it really just felt a bit too tame.
Favorite Tracks: One World; I Am the Law; the A.D.I. half of A.D.I./Horror of it All

Emily: Much like Zack, my main exposure to Anthrax was Scott Ian's near-constant presence on VH1 countdown and nostalgia shows throughout the mid-2000s. He usually had reasonable stuff to say, but his weird pointy beard is the main thing I remember about them. Has anyone else ever grown just the bottom of their beard out like 2 feet and then dyed it in various colors and stripes? Doubtful. And it turns out that Ian isn't even the main guy in Anthrax! He just plays rhythm guitar and sings backup. I guess an unusual beard and an appreciation for pop culture can really send a guy to the forefront. Anyway, Among the Living has absolutely nothing to do with any of that aside from the fact that Scott Ian is a member of Anthrax and played on the album. For a thrash metal album, I found it surprisingly listenable. There's loud and fast guitar and some screaming, but there's also some melody going on in there too. I'm not sure how actual metal fans feel about that, but for me it was a welcome change of pace.
Favorite Tracks: Indians; I Am the Law; Efilnikufesin (N.F.L.)

No comments:

Post a Comment