Tuesday, January 27, 2015

#321: Super Furry Animals - Fuzzy Logic (1996)


Zack: The first time I listened to this album was on my final night in my old apartment, sometime between the hours of “shit there’s no way I’m going to finish packing tonight” and “fuck, fuck, fuck.” With all the running around I was doing at the time, I didn’t really have a chance to formulate a good opinion on this album, so I put off writing my review for another day. That day just so happened to be on my first day of class for the spring semester. More specifically, it was on my walk to school, in the snow, at 8 a.m., while barely awake, and I think uphill both ways on this one-way journey. One thing I picked up on was that the album felt very psychedelic and sunshine-y as I initially left, which was right in tune with my naïve optimism about the start of the semester. As I neared my office, and I began to get colder and colder, the music seemed to take a more morose turn. I may be doing a bit of projecting, though. In general, after two – perhaps unfair – listens, I came away with the distinct impression that this is another one of those British albums that is just fine I guess but doesn’t really make sense for inclusion on this list. Fuzzy Logic is a good album. If I was hanging out with some people and someone played this, I would certainly not be upset. And it’s certainly worth checking out if you’re particularly into Britpop. But being unoffensive and vaguely cool isn’t the same as being one of the (1001) best albums, and I’m straining to see the logic of including it here. Hopefully their other album on this list changes my mind.
Favorite Tracks: Something for the Weekend; Hangin’ With Howard Marks; If You Don’t Want Me to Destroy You

Emily: Although I didn't listen to this album in the cold or while packing but rather while working on an edit from the warm comfort of the law review office, I tend to agree with Zack about this album. It is a bright and fun pop-psychedelic album, but wasn't anything special much beyond that. It sounded like an opening-act band, or an early-afternoon-on-a-secondary-stage festival band. You listen to it because it's there, and you tap your toes and wiggle your hips a little, but you're not about to buy a CD or a ticket to see them headline a too-small club show. Fuzzy Logic is a fun diversion, well-suited to the band's cuddly moniker, but not something I'll remember all that well.
Favorite Tracks: God! Show Me Magic; Bad Behaviour; Long Gone

No comments:

Post a Comment