Monday, January 12, 2015

#319: Everything but the Girl - Idlewild (1988)


Zack: Apparently someone besides OutKast decided to make an album called Idlewild, although I remain in the dark about whether this one too is a soundtrack to a movie. I will say this: this Idlewild is much better than the OutKast version, which remains the only disappointment in their otherwise stellar discography. I’m currently packing up to move, and the last time I binged through albums while doing that was when I ran into Harvest by Neil Young. That album pretty much stopped me in my tracks because it was so amazing. Everything but the Girl wasn’t quite as powerful, but it definitely had a similar effect. I was blown away by its sheer beauty. All of the songs are heartfelt and lovingly crafted. There’s a certain delicacy in it that is hard to explain. Every song just rings with this angelic quality. This Idlewild, unlike the other, is one that I intend to relisten to many, many times.
Favorite Tracks: Oxford Street; Love Is Here Where I Live; Apron Strings

Emily: When I first saw that this band's name was Everything but the Girl, I anticipated some kind of mid-'90s British alternative band that competed with the likes of Oasis and Blur. Maybe there is a band or a song or an album with a similar name, but it's not this duo. Then I saw the album cover, which could represent a twee indie pop number from this decade. Nope, not that either. Everything but the Girl actually comes out of the '80s, and while their sound could be classified under the indie umbrella it doesn't really capture the spirit of Idlewild. It actually has a smooth-jazz and adult-contemporary vibe, and while those genres tend to get a bad rep they actually work splendidly here. The soothing ethereal voice of Tracey Thorn blends beautifully with jazz-pop melodies, creating an album that was pleasantly unexpected.
Favorite Tracks: Oxford Street; The Night I Heard Caruso Sing; These Early Days

No comments:

Post a Comment