Monday, January 5, 2015

#313: Sheryl Crow - Tuesday Night Music Club (1993)


Emily: Sheryl Crow's All I Wanna Do is a great song. It's not a song you go out of your way to listen to, but when it comes up when you're scanning radio stations in the car you always stop on it. It's upbeat, poppy and sunny and singalong-able, and it tells a clever story. Parts of the lyrics are apparently drawn from a poem that Crow's producer found in an anthology while working on the album, which were then properly attributed to the poet and brought him newfound recognition and success. Good job, pop music! Unfortunately, for all the praise I can heap onto All I Wanna Do, the rest of Sheryl Crow's debut doesn't live up to its most famous single. It's a perfectly pleasant collection of country-twinged, adult-contemporary pop songs, but nothing really stood out beyond All I Wanna Do. For a debut, though, it shows songwriting promise and prowess, which Crow uses even today for her continued success.
Favorite Tracks: All I Wanna Do; Solidify; Can't Cry Anymore

Zack: I’m fairly certain my mom owns this album, not because I’ve seen her listen to it but because this is a total Mom album. Sixty percent of this album’s sales were to women with at least two kids who just want to cut loose and pretend to think about taking a vacation for 50 minutes. Musically, it is seriously that bland. It’s just sort of vaguely pleasant in a way that makes the album generally unassuming. Which is actually fine. I don’t want to come off like I’m bullying this album too much. It was fine for a poppy break, and the lyrics that I picked up on were pretty clever bits of writing. I can’t say that I plan on relistening to it at any point, but I wouldn’t say it was a waste of my time. Take that however you wish.
Favorite Tracks: All I Wanna Do; We Do What We Can; Leaving Las Vegas

No comments:

Post a Comment