Friday, January 2, 2015

#311: Alice in Chains - Dirt (1992)


Zack: The last time we listened to a real grunge album, we were less than a week into this endeavor. Seriously. Go back more than 4 years ago in our archives and you’ll see reviews for Nevermind, In Utero, and Unplugged by Nirvana among our first 10 reviews. The reason was that both of us had already listened to all three of those, so we reviewed them right out of the gate. Then, since there are so few grunge albums on this list (about 10, depending on where one draws the line between alternative and grunge), we just ignored them until now. Which is a bit of a shame, since grunge is such a remarkably unique genre. I once heard someone describe grunge as a combination of REM and Metallica (I believe on a Vh1 show, if I can channel my inner Emily). Both of those components are clearly displayed by Alice in Chains, but I think it draws heavier on the Metallica side than other grunge albums I’ve listened to. Whereas Nirvana always seemed sort of mopey with a tendency to growl, Alice in Chains seems perfectly capable of biting. There’s a ferocity here that I don’t really get from, say, early Pearl Jam. And I really liked the edge. Overall, I don’t put Nevermind or Ten on as much as I used to back when I myself was an angst-ridden teenager, but when I do, you can be sure that Dirt will be right there in the rotation as well.
Favorite Tracks: The Rooster; Them Bones; Would?

Emily: I've been a fan of grunge and its descendants for a long time now, especially Nirvana. Alice in Chains was another band to come out of the Seattle grunge scene in the wave of releases that came out post-Nevermind. Each one has a somewhat different sound, but all pull from the same punk, alternative, and metal influences. Dirt is definitely on the more metal end of things, which I didn't really care for. All of the songs used the same plodding, weighed-down metal sound that apparently influenced a subgenre called "sludge metal." That's aptly named, because the songs sounded like they were moving through sludge. Some of the songs, particularly the singles, had a bit more going on, but overall I thought it was slow, loud, and boring. I'll stick to Nevermind any day.
Favorite Tracks: Would?; The Rooster; Godsmack

No comments:

Post a Comment