Friday, July 5, 2013

#231: Flamin' Groovies - Teenage Head (1971)


Zack: Besides for having a title that might get you arrested for statutory, Flamin’ Groovies created an album that Mick Jagger himself said was superior to the similarly influence Sticky Fingers. As such a big Rolling Stones fan, I can honestly say that that isn’t remotely true. Sticky Fingers is the more blues rock album and just the plain superior product. But Teenage Head is still a damn fine album. The last track, Whiskey Woman, is ridiculously good and not just because I have a history of enjoying songs concerning themselves with the firewater. I’ve already listened to it five times and I’d never heard it before today. Teenage Head has a few other good tracks and is a good balance of blues and more era-traditional rock and roll. But Whiskey Woman is a song that needs to make it onto a “Put ur Liters Up” playlist on everyone’s iPod.
Favorite Tracks: Whiskey Woman; Yesterday’s Numbers; Have You Seen My Baby?

Emily: I'm not sure whether the Flamin' Groovies were courting controversy with their album title, or if its a more clever '70s innuendo that I just don't get. Wikipedia is inconclusive, so I'll just chalk the choice of title up to teenage bravado and/or stupidity. The music itself surpasses the title as an American blues-rock band that's reminiscent of the Rolling Stones (though, as Zack mentioned, the Stones are clearly superior). They take classic blues music and put a '70s rock spin on them, especially succeeding with a cover of Randy Newman's Have You Seen My Baby? Other cover tracks are hit-or-miss, a bit too old-fashioned to fit with the overall updated feel of the original tracks. Teenage Head is worth a listen or two, but others albums and musicians of the era are really what make blues-rock the classic it is today.
Favorite Tracks: Have You Seen My Baby?; Whiskey Woman; Teenage Head

No comments:

Post a Comment