Wednesday, July 17, 2013

#234: Happy Mondays - Pills 'n' Thrills and Bellyaches (1990)


Emily: As a big fan of my writing escapades, my dad tries to keep up with this blog (when he remembers, at least). Around when we first started, he shared it with a few of his coworkers. This was mostly because he's proud of me and whatnot, but also because one guy is really into music - I'm talking 50,000 songs in his iTunes library into music. I went to my dad's office one day to give him something, and he took me around to meet some of his coworkers, and the music guy mentioned my blog when we were introduced. He mentioned a few of the bands he was a big fan of - mostly punk and underground that I had a passing familiarity with - and when I told him about my interests in alternative and punk, he recommended that I give the Happy Mondays a listen. Well, it's taken a while, but I finally listened to the Happy Mondays! It's upbeat alternative music with hints of world music influence and more than a hint of scandal and sexiness. My dad's musically inclined coworker was right - I thoroughly enjoyed Pills 'n' Thrills and Bellyaches, and I'll be sure to listen to it again.
Favorite Tracks: Bob's Yer Uncle; Loose Fit; God's Cop

Zack: This is our latest foray into the mysterious world of Madchester, a super-specific subgenre of music that involves blending the then-emerging sounds of alternative with some psychedelicness for good measure. Oh, and the band has to originate in the Manchester region of the UK. I’m not sure why that is, but my only guess, which is informed by my admittedly limited knowledge about soccer abroad, is that Manchester is an area unsatisfied unless it is laying claim to everything and anything that other people may want. It’s like the younger sibling of the world. Anyway, the last trip was when we listened to The Stone Roses, which you may remember me liking but still be underwhelmed due to the album’s tremendous amount of hype. Well, this album didn’t really have all the hype to me, and I think it was better for it. I really liked this blending of music, which occasionally incorporated an organ right out of an Iron Butterfly jam. I’ve been meaning to go back and relisten to The Stone Roses but have had trouble convincing myself to do so. I don’t foresee any such problem with Pills ‘n’ Thrills and Bellyaches.
Favorite Tracks: Loose Fit; Bob’s Yer Uncle; Grandbag’s Funeral 

No comments:

Post a Comment