Tuesday, July 30, 2013

#239: Fugazi - Repeater (1990)


Zack: My only real exposure to Fugazi was from a Philly-centric blog that swore by “Fugazi Friday.” Even then, I would only bother to actually listen to the song every once in a while, even though I liked what I heard. I wasn’t exactly surprised that Fugazi put together a solid discography in their time, most notably their debut album here. And I wasn’t really surprised by how solid of an album it was overall. What did surprise me was the degree to which it was a balance between a late-80s punk album and an early 90s alternative album. Considering this is their debut, I really was expecting more of a straight punk experience. But the balance really made it stand out from all the other debut punk albums on the list.
Favorite Tracks: Blueprint; Repeater; Two Beats Off

Emily: I too read the Philly-centric, Fugazi-Friday-featuring blog that Zack mentioned above. However, I never even bothered to listen to the Fugazi songs at all. Mostly because I usually read said blog at work or in other places where playing music is frowned upon, but also because I wanted to read about Philly rather than listen to seemingly unrelated songs. I've read a bit about Fugazi as well, though I forget where, and they're quite the influence on later alternative and punk music. Through all that, Fugazi seemed like the kind of band I would like but never bothered to check out. Now, presented with the opportunity to check them out (or else), I found out whether I actually would like them - and I did. Repeater, the band's debut, has a punk edge but isn't a punk album persay. It seems to bridge the gap between punk and the grunge/alternative sounds that emerged a few years later. This innovative combo makes it clear why Fugazi and this album in particular, while less successful than their later peers, was so influential for years to come. And it's a great listen to boot.
Favorite Tracks: Blueprint; Brendan #1; Shut the Door

No comments:

Post a Comment