Wednesday, December 28, 2011

#147: Sinéad O'Connor - I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got (1990)



Zack: I listened to this album in its entirety while preparing a stew. And for some reason, it just worked. Seriously, this is really good cooking music. It’s nice and relaxed with beautiful vocals. It’s just a very calming thing to play while you brown some beef and transfer it to a slow cooker. I would be willing to wager that if one Gordan Ramsey listened to more Sinéad O'Connor while he cooked/hosted a game show about cooking, a lot less people would tune in every week. Despite what some of you may view as my divided attention, I did get a pretty close listen. For instance, I caught to subtle hint at police brutality towards African Americans in London in the song Black Boys on Mopeds. Okay, maybe it wasn’t that subtle. Anyway, it was nice to make such a connection with an album that’s just a little bit older than I am. Even today it still is just as lovely and passionate.
Favorite Tracks: Feel So Different; Nothing Compares 2 U; Black Boys on Mopeds

Emily: Sinead O’Connor is one badass Irish bitch. She’s bald, she refused to play a concert when the venue played the national anthem, and she ripped up a picture of Pope John Paul II on SNL. She even had the nerve to take a Prince funk song and turn it into a beautifully stripped-down love song. Okay, maybe that last one isn’t so badass, but it’s what skyrocketed Sinead O’Connor to all of her badassery. I Do Not Want What I Haven’t Got is O’Connor’s breakthrough album, and pretty much the only one that was a hit (ripping up the Pope didn’t really serve her career too well in the long run). It’s easy to see why though: from heartbreakingly honest ballads to more upbeat alt-pop tracks, O’Connor’s vocals shine on every song.
Favorite Tracks: Nothing Compares 2 U; I Am Stretched on Your Grave; The Last Day of Our Acquaintance

No comments:

Post a Comment