Tuesday, December 20, 2011

#145: System of a Down - System of a Down (1998)



Emily: System of a Down is an interesting band. On the one hand, they’re metal as metal can be – loud, fast, and ear-splitting. But on the other, they’re surprisingly listenable and mainstream. Songs like Chop Suey (not on this album, but worth mentioning) have become hits while playing with the fast, hyper-guitar driven sounds of their genre. The band’s self-titled first album shows early glimpses of this balance. To me it was kind of a crossover between metal and ‘70s punk. Most songs are short, fast bursts of guitar and screams – but not oh-my-god-I’m-scared screaming like in most other nu-metal. It actually reminded me of a metaled-up version of the Dead Kennedys, especially considering Serj Tankian’s vocals. I have no idea if that’s an accurate interpretation, but whatever. System of a Down is at the top of their genre for a reason – they take music that has become a cliché of shock value, and at least try to do something different with it.
Favorite Tracks: Spiders; Mind; Suggestions

Zack: I genuinely kind of like System of a Down, and am not embarrassed by it at all (I can’t say the same about my affection for Korn, but that’s a matter for another post). Mesmerize, Hypnotize, and Toxicity are three justifiably good albums (in that order of course). But I’d never listened to SOAD’s debut album and wasn’t really sure what to expect. Well, it’s really just more of the same as far as that distinctive System sound. My favorite part of SOAD’s style? Easily how quickly the vocals fly in range. In one second, it’ll be a Mickey Mouse-esque squeek. The next will be a booming screech of pure rage. It’s so hard to keep up but it gets me amped regardless.
Favorite Tracks: Mind; Spiders; P.L.U.C.K.

No comments:

Post a Comment