Monday, December 19, 2011

#144: Electric Light Orchestra - Out of the Blue (1977)



Zack: I’ll be honest: I listened to this album like 3 weeks ago. I just didn’t have anything to write, so I threw it on the backburner and used finals and papers as an excuse not to set aside 10 minutes to write a little blurb about it. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Emily has been silently judging my laziness (she listened to it about a week ago but wrote her review promptly; just like a business school kid to do something as if there’s a deadline).But luckily for all of you, inspiration hit me in the form of an article on one of my favorite websites of all time: Cracked. It pointed out one of the songs on the random 4-song concept mini-album that appears in the middle as something that just randomly makes him happy. I couldn’t agree more. I don’t know why or how, but this album just makes you happy. I wouldn’t say it’s particularly upbeat or is just so good that it restores your faith that humans can produce good music every once in a while. It just naturally uplifts. Like it’s the sound of puppies cocking their heads slightly to the right and then running up to sit on your lap and lick your face. Yeah, that sounds about right.
Favorite Tracks: Mr. Blue Sky; Turn to Stone; Believe Me Now 

Emily: Imagine a laser light show perfectly coordinated to booming classical music. Like Trans-Siberian Orchestra, or something like that. It’s ridiculous and over the top, but something you absolutely need to see at least once. That’s what I thought I was getting before I listened to Electric Light Orchestra. To an extent, that’s what I got. Out of the Blue definitely wasn’t classical and I don’t really think it would coordinate well with lasers, but the sentiment is there. Like a laser light show, it’s high-concept, over-the-top, and just short of ridiculous. There’s even a mini-opus in the middle called Concerto for a Rainy Day that’s about (you guessed it!) a rainy day. That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed Out of the Blue. Yes, it’s cheesy, but isn’t most pop music? The songs are melodic and hummable, much more pop-oriented than I expected them to be. It’s not the greatest album ever by any stretch, but it’s fun – definitely deserving at least one listen (just like that laser light show).
Favorite Tracks: Turn to Stone; Mr. Blue Sky; Wild West Hero

No comments:

Post a Comment