Thursday, December 22, 2011

#146: Klaxons - Myths of the Near Future (2007)



Zack: “When you're less a band and more a sonic Socratic method wrapped in hard-driving guitars and anthemic melodies, the gulf is embraced, and the void is ultimately surfed.” That is a quote from Klaxons home page. It is also a perfect representation of how torn I am over them. On one hand, ¾ of their album was really good and even, dare I say it, innovative. On the other hand, who describes themselves as a “sonic Socratic method?” As someone who has read a pretty solid amount of Plato, let me be the first here to say no. N. O. No. But, then again, the only reason I saw that quote was because I was on their website surfing for tour dates because I enjoyed most of their album (with a few songs that fell into the meh range pretty squarely). And that’s after two close listens, so I’ve had some time to evaluate. They’re a little different. They have a certain Talking Heads vibe to them, but more modern. I’d venture to guess that the Flaming Lips may be the closest comparison I can come up with, but even them the lack of synthesizers and spacieness through that off. One thing is for sure, though. They don’t sound like the Socratic method.
Favorite Tracks: Gravity’s Rainbow; Two Receivers; Totem on the Timeline

Emily: Zack and I listened to this album together a few weeks back, but neither of us actually wrote anything until now because we got caught up in an epic game of Text Twist. Seriously, it lasted for like two hours, and by the time we lost it was 2:30 AM and we had lost all semblance of writing ability and even what we thought of the album. Fast forward to today, and I finally had time to revisit Klaxons without getting sucked into another endless game. Then fast forward to a hipster warehouse party in the future, and you’ll get a pretty good idea of what Myths of the Near Future is all about. It’s rhythmic, fun, and catchy, perfect for dancing, but it has a futuristic vibe going on as well. Not something you’d find at a typical club, but I can definitely see hipsters grooving to this…or me in my living room. Either way, if the Klaxons are the future of dance music, than fast-forward me to that future.
Favorite Tracks: Golden Skans; Two Receivers; Gravity’s Rainbow

No comments:

Post a Comment