Tuesday, October 26, 2010

#7-9: Familiar Territory: Part 3 (Last One. We Promise.)

The Killers - Hot Fuss (2004)


Emily: This is by far the best Killers album. Their New Wave-y sound was fresh and different, yet still catchy enough to be mainstream friendly. I wish they had stayed truer to this sound in their later albums than switching to a more arena-rock style - I think it's much more interesting.
Favorite Tracks: Jenny Was a Friend of Mine, All These Things That I've Done, Somebody Told Me

Zack: I remember hearing Somebody Told Me on the radio and wondering who exactly The Killers were. Honestly, I thought they were going to be a one-hit wonder, but that surely has not been the case. Personally, I don't think it has been influential enough to warrant inclusion on the list, but that doesn't mean it's not worth a listen. It's fun and poppy while still maintaining its alternative credentials.
Favorite Tracks: Smile Like You Mean It, Somebody Told Me, Glamorous Indie Rock & Roll

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not (2006)



Emily: I actually came across Arctic Monkeys just by reading about them in Rolling Stone and thinking, "Hm, they sound cool." Then I listened to I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor, and my inclination was confirmed. This album has a frenetic feel that just makes you want to dance like crazy. It's a very impressive first album that's a lot of fun.
Favorite Tracks: When the Sun Goes Down, I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor, The View From the Afternoon

Zack: I'd heard about the Arctic Monkeys a while ago but didn't really have any interest in them until recently. I started with this album and was immediately impressed. It's just plain fun. Plus I love their name. Arctic Monkeys. It's so fun to say. They earn an A for name alone.
Favorite Tracks: The View From the Afternoon, Perhaps Vampire is a Bit Strong But..., Red Lights Indicate Doors are Secure

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication (1999)


Zack: Californication may very well be the Red Hot Chili Peppers best album. At the very least, it's the most underrated. It spawned, by my count, 6 singles and features a superb blend of hectic, super-sexual and slow, emotional songs. Everything about this album, from the way Flea slaps his bass to Anthony Kiedis's lyrics that are positively dripping with sexual juices (go ahead, let your mind wander), is pure RHCP at their best.
Favorite Tracks: Scar Tissue, Parallel Universe, Savior

Emily: There really isn't much more I can add to what Zack said - he summed it up perfectly (well, I wouldn't have used the phrase "sexual juices," but that's not the point). This album just has great songs. Everything fits together perfectly to create the classic RHCP sound.
Favorite Tracks: Otherside, Around the World, Californication

No comments:

Post a Comment