Sunday, October 31, 2010

#11: Billy Joel - The Stranger (1977)

Emily: My parents are both big Billy Joel fans (their wedding song is Just the Way You Are), and once I found their vinyl collection this was the first album I listened to. I think part of what makes these songs so popular is that everyone can relate to them. Every song tells a story, and Joel's masterful songwriting makes the characters real. From the chilling piano and whistles of the title track and the sweet melodies of Just the Way You Are, to the rebellious streak of Only the Good Die Young and the fly-on-the-wall saga of Scenes from an Italian Restaurant, Joel created a pop classic.
Favorite Tracks: The Stranger, Only the Good Die Young (which I quoted for my high school yearbook), Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)

Zack: Several times during the listening of this album, I thought Billy was singing directly to me…and it was wonderful. He has a terrific voice and I loved the wide variety of instruments used. Each song has its own feel to it and I could see how your particular mood would affect the songs you enjoyed the most.
Favorite Tracks: Movin’ Out (Anthony’s Song), Vienna, Only the Good Die Young

1 comment:

  1. great idea this, love it already ^_^
    I never thought i'd actually like this album, but it's really nice and sweet! a lot of songs that i recognise but never knew were by this guy!

    ReplyDelete