Saturday, July 8, 2017

#432: The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)


Zack: I think more than enough ink (digital and otherwise) had been spilled on this album, so I’m going to try and keep this semi-brief. I’m on record as thinking The Beatles are overrated, my case rests on the assertion that most of their catalogue is them making pretty good pop songs, and just because you were consistently good at something doesn’t, in itself, make it extraordinary. Sgt. Pepper’s, therefore, is not a piece of evidence I would call attention to. On this album (much as they do on Revolver as well) they try and experiment and push some boundaries. For me, they stand out here, and that answers my main criticism. That said, I still don’t particularly love this album. It’s good, and there are some songs I really like. Now that I think about it, I don’t think I’d ever sat down and listened to it from start to finish, although every single song was familiar. Kind of in the same way that if you’ve ever listened to a classic rock station, you’ve heard the entirety of Dark Side of the Moon. But I didn’t think the album gained much from being a cohesive project rather than a collection of songs. Plus, many of the songs, while different enough to be interesting, I ultimately didn’t think were that exciting. Basically, this album made me pay attention more than I did when we listened to With the Beatles, but I wasn’t quite as captivated as I was for Revolver. That’s enough for me to say that it’s worth checking out, but not enough for me to endorse it as an all-time great album.
Favorite Tracks: Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds; Good Morning Good Morning; With a Little Help from My Friends

Emily: The mythos and imagery surrounding Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band almost overshadows the music. The album cover, the band uniforms, the mustaches - all have been enshrined in the collective cultural memory as evidence of the world changing during the Summer of Love in 1967. By then, The Beatles had stopped performing live, abandoned the clean-cut image beloved by their teenage fans, and turned inward towards spirituality, experimentation, and (shortly thereafter) fighting amongst themselves. Sgt. Pepper is often regarded as a turning point in The Beatles' career, and the music reflects that just as well as everything else. Some of the music dips its toes into experimentation, while still remaining carefully crafted pop and rock songs. It's a moment of musical transition, but an iconic one. Nearly every song is recognizable to the most casual of music fans, and each one stands the test of time. Do I think Sgt. Pepper is the best Beatles album? Probably not. But it certainly lives up to the mythology that surrounds it.
Favorite Tracks: With a Little Help from My Friends; Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds; Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

No comments:

Post a Comment