Thursday, July 13, 2017

#435: Chic - Risqué (1979)



Zack: I don’t know what I was expecting, but groovy disco bangers wasn’t quite it. Somehow, I did not know that Chic was the band behind Good Times, which probably is what let to my expectations being off. For a disco album (a genre I am not particularly supportive of), this album was pretty damn good. It was lighthearted and fun without being annoying like, say, ABBA. I liked it enough to maybe listen to it again, but not enough to check out the new Chic album supposedly dropping later this year.
Favorite Tracks: Good Times; A Warm Summer Night; What About Me?


Emily: As someone who was a teenager in the '70s, my mom's two favorite genres of music are disco and funk. It's easy to understand why - although they have a reputation as cheesy, the best examples are fun, catchy, and great for dancing. While Chic is more often brought out at weddings and by cover bands than on mainstream radio or at dance clubs where my mom would've heard them back in the day, Risqué holds up as a standout of both the disco and funk genres. It combines signature disco guitar with funk horns and catchy hooks, creating a collection of songs that stand well on their own and are also ripe for sampling (which other artists have done many times over).
Favorite Tracks: Good Times; My Forbidden Lover; Can't Stand to Love You

No comments:

Post a Comment