Saturday, May 23, 2015

#348: The Roots - Phrenology (2002)


Zack: The Legendary Roots crew may be known nationally for patiently waiting while Jimmy Fallon stops laughing at random things, but in Philadelphia they’re known more for the incredible two decade run of amazing albums they are still somehow still in. Seriously, this is a power ranking of all Philly rappers:
1) Black Thought
2) Malik B.
3) Beanie Sigel I guess
4) Gillie da Kid (just because he has a song featuring DeSean Jackson and Louis Williams, which 4 years ago was the most Philly shit ever. Also, he ghostwrote all of Tha Carter, which isn’t relevant but worth mentioning since I’m a Lil Wayne truther.)
5) Black Thought one more time
6) Black Thought two more times
7) BIG WILLIE STYLE?!?!?!?
8) Dosage (For you backpack fans out there)
9) GrandeMarshall (Check out his Mugga Man mixtape. It’s not bad.)
10) Black Thought a final time
[...]
998) Meek Mill
Besides for the shots I’m firing at Meek Mill (he’s engaged to Nicki Minaj, so I’m sure he’ll get over it), the important thing to note about is that Black Thought is seriously that amazing. His super lyrical style is backed up perfectly with the jazzy, neo-soul sound of The Roots, and the product is absolutely amazing. Phrenology is my favorite Roots album and I think what I love most of all is the way they allow this album to breathe. They take advantage of the negative space on this album by easing into songs and letting the music linger in the mind before moving on. It’s important that they do so, since the arrangements have this delicate vibe to them. Another thing this album has going for it is that it has The Seed 2.0, which holy shit that song is fantastic. It’s my second favorite Roots song, only behind You Got Me. Anyway, I could probably write a whole dissertation on why The Roots are amazing and Phrenology is a metaphor for colonialism or whatever music theorists write dissertations on, but I think I’d rather close by saying that this is the Roots album anyone should listen to if they want to work their way into this gem-filled discography (after that, Things Fall Apart and then Undun) and that Black Thought contributed to my all-time favorite BET cypher, which you should also check out here.
Favorite Tracks: The Seed 2.0; Complexity; Rollin’ With Heat

Emily: Even though I'm actually from Philly and had never lived outside the Philly area until about a week ago (hi, DC!), I've never listened to The Roots. They rep my hometown so hard, giving us a good name where it's otherwise been tarnished - being Jimmy Fallon's house band and playing in great videos like this one, throwing an all-day festival called the Roots Picnic, and backing every single artist that plays the Philly Fourth of July free concert on the Art Museum steps. All of these things make them the first ambassadors of the Philly music scene, and I've definitely seen them perform at least at that last event, but somehow I'd never heard their own music. That is, until today, when I sat down and listened to Phrenology. I'd need to listen a few more times to really understand what Zack loves about them, but from my first impression I'm a fan. Maybe it has something to do with them being an actual band that has a rapper instead of a singer, but I really liked the soul influence that backs up Black Thought's raps. It just didn't sound like your typical rap album - but then again, Philly's not your typical city, and The Roots are not your typical rap artists.
Favorite Tracks: Rollin' With Heat; Complexity; Water

No comments:

Post a Comment